CHS/ USC Union Dual Enrollment Courses
Dual enrollment is an opportunity for high school students to earn both high school credit and college credit simultaneously. This is a great way for students to experience college level writing, thought process, and responsibility while having the support of family members and high school teachers.
However, students must be cautious.
Grades are reported on both the high school transcript and a college transcript. Even a low grade of D or F will be reported on the college transcript. We don't want any students beginning college with low grades (or finishing high school with low grades!)
Note the costs of each course carefully. Families are responsible for both the tuition and the purchase of most textbooks and lab kits (just like a regular college class). However, there is a possibility that the state of South Carolina will pay the cost of tuition (not textbooks) if qualifying conditions are met. This is through Lottery Tuition Assistance (LTAP).
- Parents/Guardians of the student must be South Carolina Residents.
- Students must be a US citizen or legal resident.
- Student must provide a copy of a SC driver's license and/or birth certificate.
- Between 6 and 12 credit hours must be taken in the same semester.
The 6 credit hour rule is a little tricky to understand.
- Student A takes English 101 1st semester, and AP Calculus AB (with USC credit 2nd semester). The family will have to pay the total tuition charge of $770 plus the cost of the textbook. Student A never took 6 credits in the same semester (but took 3 first semester and 4 second semester).
- Student B takes English 101 2nd semester, and AP Calculus AB (with USC credit 2nd semester), the tuition is still $770 but SC LTAP paid the cost. The family paid no tuition, only the cost of the text book because student B had at least six credit hours in the same semester.
- It is the student's responsibility to double check his or her schedule prior to the start of school to ensure that the classes were scheduled to maximize tuition benefits.
- AP US History has 6 credit hours scheduled 2nd semester so that class will qualify for LTAP.
- Anatomy 2 has 8 credit hours scheduled 2nd semester so that class will qualify for LTAP.
- Families must pay for all other classes OR ensure that two classes occur in the same semester (see Student B above).