MissionThe mission of gifted education is to maximize the potential of gifted and talented students by providing programs and services that match the unique characteristics and needs of these students.
- Provide differentiated curriculum at a pace and complexity appropriate for gifted learners
- Provide opportunities to develop skills of critical and creative thinking and problem solving
- Provide guidance in research and independent studies
Students in grades three through ten, who have been identified as academically gifted, receive services using the state-approved special class model. The special class model requires students to attend GT classes daily.
These students are served in language arts and/or math. Students in grade nine and ten receive instruction in the area of global studies.
Gifted Students: Who are They?
The following description of the identification process reflects the South Carolina definition of gifted and talented and is in keeping with the National Excellence Report (1995) which states:
Children and youth with outstanding talent perform or show the potential for performing at remarkable high levels of accomplishment when compared with others of their age, experience, or environment.
These children and youth exhibit high performance capability in intellectual, creative, and/or artistic areas, possess an unusual leadership capacity, or excel in specific academic fields. They require services or activities not ordinarily provided by the schools.
Outstanding talents are present in children and youth from all cultural groups, across all economic strata, and in all areas of human endeavor.
Characteristics of Gifted Students
- Learn easily and rapidly
- Think clearly, recognize implied relationships and comprehend meanings
- Read above grade level
- Retain information read without appearing to need much rote or drill
- Possess a large vocabulary
- Exhibit independence, individualism, and self-sufficiency
- Demonstrate a curious and investigative nature
- Ask penetrating, searching questions
- Focus intently on areas of interest
- Produce original products or ideas
- Prefer complex ideas