Online Etiquette Q&A
Click on the icon to the right to be taken to www.commonsensemedia.org where you can download the commonsensemedia.org iPad or Android App.
What is Online Etiquette?
Online Etiquette is about showing honesty and respect toward others.How do you demonstrate online ethical behavior?Privacy: Respecting the privacy of others online.Self-Expression and Identity: Presenting yourself in an honest and genuine way in the online world.Connected Culture: Treating others in a kind and respectful manner, and avoiding cyberbullying.Respecting Creative Work: Giving credit to others and/or asking their permission when you use their work as part of your own.What are some ways to behave ethically?
- Protecting your privacy and respecting that of others
- Presenting yourself and sensibly and appropriately
- Treating others with respect and kindness
- Getting credit for your work and citing that of others
What are some examples of unethical online behavior?
- Sharing embarrassing information about someone in an online forum
- Creating a profile with false information and tricking people with it
- Posting a cruel remark about someone on a social network
- Using the work of someone else in a mash-up without citing it
Credit for information on this page to www.commonsensemedia.org