General Elementary Program Description
Elementary students (grades 1-5) enrolled in Clover Virtual Academy will receive daily instruction in English language arts, mathematics, science, social studies, physical education/health, art, and music. Canvas is the learning management system used to deliver instruction, and WebEx is used for live synchronous sessions.
Instruction is based on South Carolina State Standards. The standards are found here: https://ed.sc.gov/instruction/standards-learning/
Students will receive one hour each of English language arts and mathematics per day. Part of this block is live synchronous instruction, and the remaining time is independent work or small group instruction. There will be 30 minutes each of science and social studies instruction per day. Students will also receive core content instruction through daily intervention/enrichment blocks. Students eligible for gifted/talented instruction, ESOL, tiered interventions, or special education services will receive these services during the intervention/enrichment blocks.
Elementary instruction will include physical education/health instruction for 30 minutes daily. They will also receive 30 minutes of art or music instruction each day. The instruction will include live synchronous sessions, pre-recorded videos, and independent work.
Instructional resources used for the content areas include, but are not limited to:
English Language Arts: Fountas and Pinnell Reading Minilessons; Fountas and Pinnell Phonics and Word Study; Lucy Calkins Writing
Mathematics: Harcourt Houghton Mifflin Into Math
Science: Delta Science Modules, Full Option Science System (FOSS), Science and Technology for Children, and Discovery Ed TechBook
Social Studies: Pearson myWorld (Grade 1) and SC Networks Social Studies (Grades 2-5)
What to Expect – Elementary Grades 1 – 5
- Students will be assigned to a CSD certified teacher in the appropriate grade-level with a maximum of 25 students enrolled in the class. These teachers may, or may not, have affiliation with the student’s home school.
- Students will be provided with a device. All students must have reliable access to the internet. Wi-fi hotspots may be requested from the school district.
- Students must meet state attendance guidelines and attend daily virtual live sessions. Attendance will be taken daily. Students that fail to attend daily virtual classes or submit work on time may be considered truant and will receive attendance intervention plans just as students attending face-to-face classes.
- All students will be required to attend a school site to complete State and district required assessments based on legislative Act 142. This may include pre and post assessments for Reading and Math, as well as other assessments outlined by the SC Department of Education and the Clover School District.
- Instruction will follow the CSD District Curriculum Maps for pacing and sequencing of teaching and learning of the State Standards for each respective content area.
- Instruction, learning experiences, and materials will be delivered using the district’s Canvas Learning Management System with links to other district supported digital learning platforms and tools.
- Teachers will provide direct instruction that includes synchronous live sessions through WebEx on a daily schedule.
- Additional scheduled instructional whole group, small group, or one-on-one sessions will be available and assigned as needed.
- Students and parents/families will be required to attend on-site orientations and student progress meetings throughout the school year. Teachers will be available for additional student and/or parent conferencing.
- Assignments and tasks are not self-paced, rather deadline driven with specific due dates each week.
- Special services such as gifted and talented classes, ESOL, and student specific accommodations will be provided.
Sample Elementary Student Schedules: