Frequently Asked Questions

What do I need to know before enrolling?

  • You must be at least 17 years of age or above and a resident of South Carolina with a valid SC identification to enroll.

  • If you are 17 years old – the student and parent must first set up and attend a 17-year old meeting with the director.

  • If you are a 17-year-old student that has attended high school in Clover, Fort Mill or York, you must have the underage application document signed by a parent or guardian, the high school principal of the last school you attended, and the superintendent or their designee at the district office. District Signatures should come from the following: Clover District Office - Mr. Rod Ruth or Dr. Sheila Quinn, Fort Mill District Office -Mr. Grey Young, York District Office - Ms Kelly Coxe.

  • If you are 17 and have not attended school in the Clover, Fort Mill, or York school district, you must get a signed letter from the district office of the school district in which you reside stating your name, date of birth, that you are not enrolled in a high school in the district and have the district’s permission to attend adult education.

  • Call 803-810-8440 to arrange registration and schedule pre-testing sessions.

How much does it cost?

  • There is no charge to attend in-person adult education or ESL classes at Tri-District Adult Education. There is a $20 class fee for the 8-week Pre-GED/GED Online class.

When are GED classes scheduled?

  • 9:00am – 12:00pm Monday through Thursday

  • 4:30pm – 7:30pm Monday and Tuesday, Clover Site Only

When are English as a Second Language (ESL) classes scheduled?

  • 9:00am – 12:00pm: Monday and Wednesday, York Site (Beginners-Intermediate)

  • 4:30pm – 7:30pm: Monday and Tuesday, Clover Site (Beginners, Intermediate, Advanced, Advanced+)

  • 4:30pm – 7:30pm: Monday and Tuesday, Virtual (Intermediate/Advanced)

What materials are needed for class?

  • You will need pencils, pens, notebook paper and a 3-ring binder with dividers.

Are Tri-District Adult Education teachers certified?

  • Yes, all instructors are required to have a valid South Carolina teaching certification.

Are on-line/virtual classes available?

  • Yes, 8-week Pre-GED/GED class sessions are offered throughout the school year. Please go to the Online Class tab on our website for more information and to register.  Classes are synchronous learning classes, which means you must attend your online classes at the scheduled times each week.

What is the GED?

  • GED stands for General Educational Development. Once a student takes and  passes each section of the GED test (Reasoning through Language Arts, Mathematical Reasoning, Science and Social Studies) they earn a South Carolina High School Equivalency Diploma.

  • The South Carolina High School Equivalency Diploma is earned by receiving passing scores (145 or above) on each of the four GED sections and is considered by employers and colleges as equivalent to a high school diploma.

What are the requirements for taking the GED in South Carolina?

  • You must be at least 17 years old.

  • You must be a resident of South Carolina and have a valid (from DMV), unexpired SC state ID, driver’s license, or permit.

If I attend classes, how long will it take to pass the GED?

There are several factors that determine how long it will take a student to successfully pass all 4 parts of the GED. These factors are listed below, but in general it is based on the student’s academic level and level of personal commitment.

  • Scores on Math and Reading tests that are administered during the registration process determine how long it may take for you to be prepared to pass the GED exams. These tests help determine academic areas of strength and areas that need remediation.  It is important to do your best on these tests.

  • Your attendance and consistency in coming to class. The most progress is made by students who make the commitment to attend class every day. Students with attendance issues are unable to make the academic progress needed to pass the GED exams.

  • Asking questions and following your instructional plan.

  • Doing additional work from home if your schedule allows.

May I take the GED exam without enrolling in an adult education program?

  • Yes, but it is not recommended. By enrolling in adult education classes, you will receive instruction from certified teachers that prepares you to successfully pass the 4 GED subtests.

  • Tri-District Adult Education will pay for an enrolled student’s first round of GED tests once the student’s test scores indicate that they are ready for the exam.

  • If you decide not to attend adult education classes to prepare for the GED then you will need to sign-up for the GED by creating an account at and follow the directions on the website to register for the exam. The cost of each exam is $37.50. This equates to $150 for all 4 exams.

Can I take the GED in Spanish?

  • Yes, but it is not recommended. If you take the Spanish version of the GED, you will not receive a South Carolina High School Equivalency Diploma. You will only receive a GED transcript.

Where do I take the GED test?

  • GED Tests are administered at the Tri-District Adult Education Clover Site.

What if I had an IEP in high school? 

  • If you are under the age of 21 you are still eligible for services and an IEP meeting will be held to review your plan, accommodations, and services.

  • If you had an IEP in high school that allowed for testing accommodations, please let us know when you register, so appropriate accommodations can be made during your intake assessments.

  • Request for special accommodations on the final GED exams, for individuals with an IEP, must be submitted to Pearson Vue (GED) for approval in advance of sitting for the exam.

What about employment and/or post-secondary training after I pass my GED?

  • A College and Career Navigator (Counselor) works with all students to determine their future goals for employment and training. The CCN then works with each student while they are enrolled in adult education and after they graduate to assist them in meeting these goals.

  • The College and Career Navigator assists students enrolled in Tri-District Adult Education with resume’s, job interviewing skills, college enrollment, FAFSA and much more.

  • Referrals may be made to partner agencies such as SC Works/WIOA, SNAP Employment and Training, or Vocational Rehabilitation to assist students with training and/or barriers to their education or employment.

Am I eligible to attend college with a South Carolina High School Equivalency Diploma (GED)?

  • Yes, technical colleges and 2-year and 4-year colleges and universities accept students who have earned their high school equivalency diploma by passing the GED. Just like a student who goes to college after earning a high school diploma, students who have a GED must meet college entrance requirements for admittance.

  • A score of 165 or higher on each subtest is considered a college-ready score, and may assist in the college admission process.

If I attended classes previously, am I required to re-enroll?

  • If your absence from the program has been 90 days or more, you will be required re-enroll.

  • A new program year begins each July and requires all students, even those returning from the previous year to reenroll by completing new school year paperwork and testing.

  • Even though you must reenroll in the adult education program each year or after an extended absence, scores from any GED Subtest you have taken and passed are still valid. You will not have to retake parts of the GED that you have already passed.

How do I get a duplicate copy of my diploma or an official copy of my GED transcript?

Can I get my high school diploma instead of my GED?

  • Yes, High School Diploma Classes are delivered through Edmentum.

  • Students interested in earning their high school diploma must be officially withdrawn from their high school, enroll in Adult Education, submit their high school transcript, and take the TABE placement test.

  • After reviewing the student’s high school transcript and TABE Placement Test scores, the director and student will determine which route to a high school credential is the best/quickest route for that student.

  • Students enrolled in high school diploma courses are required to attend face-to-face classes to ensure that all coursework is being completed as outlined on the course syllabus and pacing guide.